Job offer details
Postdoctoral fellow in physiological genomics
The Institute of Environmental Sciences of the Jagiellonian University is hiring a postdoctoral fellow in physiological genomics
The post-doc will perform the "molecular" part of project entitled
Experimental evolution of physiological and behavioral adaptations in the bank vole: molecular background
The project is based on a long-term experimental evolution program, with lines of bank voles selected in three distinct directions. The specific objective is to investigate molecular basis of the evolution of increased aerobic exercise metabolism and propensity towards predatory behavior in the selected lines, through a) identification of genes with modified frequency of Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) alleles, and b) analyses of the correlation between SPN genotypes and phenotypic values of the selected traits. The primary tasks performed by the post-doc will be the bioinformatic and statistical data analyzes of high-throughput sequencing data. Additional tasks are participation in laboratory molecular analyses and physiological measurements (subject to individual consideration). This project is a continuation of the research presented in Konczal et al. 2015 (doi:10.1093/molbev/msv038) and 2016 (doi:10.1093/molbev/msw121). Additional information can be obtained from the principal investigator, Dr. Paweł Koteja (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Key words: animal physiology, behavior, evolution, genomics, high-throughput sequencing, locomotor performance, metabolism, neurophysiology, predation, selection experiment, SNP
The main requirements:
- PhD degree in biology or related sciences obtained not earlier than 7 years prior to employment in the project (note: this period does not include periods of maternity or parental leave, or other circumstances described in the Polish National Science Centre OPUS project regulations),
- or a statement that the PhD dissertation has been submitted and the candidate is expected to obtain the degree before commencing the employment;
- Experience in analyzing data from high-throughput sequencing and working in a Unix/Linux environment.
Conditions of employment:
- full-time contract for 24 months, about 7000 PLN/month (gross; an equivalent to associate professor salary),
- benefits of a full-time employee according to the Polish law (health insurance, retirement benefits, etc.)
- all social benefits of the University staff (www.en.uj.edu.pl/en/staff/staff-benefits/office),
- beginning of the employment: between 1.12.2017 and 1.04.2018 (negotiable).
Deadline for applications: 30 November 2017 (automatically prolonged if needed)
If no candidate meets the requirements, the recruitment period will be extended. If you are interested in this position but cannot apply before the deadline, let us know and we will inform you about the extension.
For details of the requirements and the recruitment procedure see:
Dr. Paweł Koteja (email@example.com)
Institute of Environmental Sciences
7 Gronostajowa Street, 30-387 Kraków, Poland
office phone: +48 12 664 5209
mobile phone: +48 606 240 746
fax: +48 12 664 6912