Job offer details
IIMCB in Warsaw offers a position in an interdisciplinary project focused on software development for structural biology of RNA
IIMCB in Warsaw offers a position in an interdisciplinary project
focused on software development for structural biology of RNA
under joint supervision
of prof. Matthias Bochtler (macromolecular crystallography)
and prof. Janusz Bujnicki (bioinformatics, molecular modeling)
We offer an exciting research project that combines crystallography and bioinformatics,
supervised by two experts in these fields and in interdisciplinary collaboration with their groups.
We are looking for an enthusiastic researcher with experience and interest in software development (mainly in C/C++). The project is open to scientists at any stage of their career, and may be particularly interesting for PhD candidates. The project can (but doesn’t have to) become a basis for a PhD thesis.
The position is funded for 2 years, extension is possible depending on results.
Key information about us:
• To have an idea of the working activity of the Bujnicki and Bochtler groups, check the website
• We are hosted by IIMCB (http://iimcb.gov.pl), the top-ranked (A+) Polish research institute in biology, with cutting-edge equipment and facilities, in particular for bioinformatics, experimental molecular and structural biology.
IIMCB also provides support for science commercialization, development of spin-off companies etc.
• IIMCB is an equal opportunity employer and holds 'HR Excellence in Research' logo for the implementation of the provisions of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
The project is supported by the internal program in IIMCB for collaborative projects involving interdisciplinary collaboration between laboratories. The successful candidate will be selected in an open competition.
The main goal of the project is to develop and test in practice a new method for RNA 3D structure determination from crystallographic data, which adapts the SimRNA program (standalone: http://genesilico.pl/simrna/, web server: https://genesilico.pl/SimRNAweb/) developed by the Bujnicki group for simulating RNA 3D structure formation. The project provides opportunities for extensive interdisciplinary collaborations with the Bochtler and Bujnicki team and with other groups in the institute (e.g. with software developers, molecular modelers and experimentalists), as well as external collaborations with academia and industry.
• Documented experience in programming in C/C++
• At least basic knowledge of methods for computational analyses of molecular structures
• Proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
Advantageous but not essential:
• A degree (BSc, MSc, PhD) in computer science, life sciences or related area
• Experience in macromolecular crystallography
• Experience in bioinformatics and molecular modeling (in particular Monte Carlo methods, statistical potentials)
• Programming skills in Python and other languages
Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project
• Salary range 3000-6000 PLN/month depending on skills and form of employment (type of contract, stipend etc.)
• Appointment starting as soon as possible, funding guaranteed initially for up to 2 years, possible extension
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
How to apply:
• We will collect applications until March 31st 2018.
• Apply now (or ask any questions you may have) to email@example.com
• In the subject include "IIMCB-RNA-crystallography&modeling" and your first and last name.
• Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter (What is your scientific dream and how to you want to fulfill it? What are your key strengths? Why do you want to work with us?), a description of your key achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including at least one direct supervisor.
• Please include the following statement in your application: "I hereby give consent for my personal data included in my application to be processed for the purposes of the recruitment process under the Personal Data Protection Act as of 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 as amended.”
• Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks before the final interview.
• The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.